Protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide background concept

Photo: Getty Images

Lee County, FL - Residents of Southwest Florida are being warned about possible carbon monoxide poisoning from generators being used to power homes in the wake of Hurricane Ian.

Lee Health shared a media update reminding residents to take the necessary precautions when using a generator.

Officials say generators should always be used outdoors and at least 20 feet from structures to prevent carbon monoxide exposure.

According to the CDC, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include "headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion."

The CDC says people sleeping can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before experiencing any symptoms.

The Cape Coral Police Department issued a warning on Facebook, telling residents "PLEASE make sure your generator is at least 20 feet from your home and never in an enclosed space including garages and lanais. You should also have a carbon monoxide detector as the gas is odorless and tasteless."

Lee Health says they've had several patients admitted due to carbon monoxide exposure, and nine deaths related to it.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content